Often, cURL error 60: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate error occurs when we try to call the API with the secure https:// protocol in the request URL.
Why This Error Occurs?
Just go to your API call code and try to run request URL with only http:// protocol. You can’t see the error anymore because secure API calls require an SSL certificate.
This error occurs because the API call makes a secure connection request using the self-signed certificate. When it does not find a valid certificate, it throws an error.
It has a very very simple solution. We just need to download the certificate and set the path. Are you ready? Then let’s set up an SSL certificate step by step as below:
How To Resolve: cURL error 60?
- Download the “cacert.pem” free certificate file from the official website here: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/caextract.html
- Move the cacert.pem file in a reachable destination for the PHP. It is advisable to move the file for WAMP user to
C:\wamp64\bin\php\cacert.pem, for XAMPP user to
C:\xampp\php\extras\ssl\cacert.pem, for AMPPS user to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ampps\php\extras\ssl\cacert.pem
- Open your php.ini file and find for “curl.cainfo”. You will see something like the following:
; curl.cainfo =
- Now, we need to add the path of the certificate to “curl.cainfo” and remove semicolon(;) as follow:
curl.cainfo = "C:\wamp64\bin\php\cacert.pem"
- The very very most important step is to save and close your php.ini. Restart your web server and try your request again. If you do not set the right path, then you will experience a CURL 77 error.
Additionally, read our guide:
- Specified Key Was Too Long Error In Laravel
- Run PHP Artisan Commands On Shared Hosting Servers
- How To Calculate Age From Birthdate
- Active Directory Using LDAP in PHP or Laravel
- How To Use The Laravel Soft Delete
- How To Add Laravel Next Prev Pagination
- Best Way to Remove Public from URL in Laravel
- Difference Between Factory And Seeders In Laravel
- Difference Between Events and Observers In Laravel
- Session Not Working In Laravel
That’s it from our end. We hope this article helped you to resolve cURL error 60: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate error.
Please let us know in the comments if everything worked as expected, your issues, or any questions. If you think this article saved your time & money, please do comment, share, like & subscribe. Thank you for reading this post. 🙂 Keep Smiling! Happy Coding!