In this tutorial, we will learn how to get the year from the date in PHP. The PHP provides very useful functions and classes by using it we can easily format the date. Let’s just dive into it and explore it.
Get Year From Date In PHP
PHP provides the date() method which is used to format the date as we want. We can also get the year from the date. Also, this function is useful to change any kind of date format. Let’s see simple examples.
Example 1: Extract Year From Static Date
In this example, we have used the createFromFormat() function which helps us to provide exact conversion from the specific date format else it might interpret the wrong date format and gives us the wrong output.
It is always advisable to use createFromFormat() function while dealing with the static dates or if you changed the default date format.
<?php $datetime = DateTime::createFromFormat('d/m/Y', '05/06/2021'); echo $datetime->format('y'); // echo $datetime->format('Y'); // Output: 21
'Y' instead of
'y' to get the two digit year for ex. 20, 21, 19, etc.
Example 2: Extract Year Using date() Function
If you don’t want to use the
DateTime class then you can simply use the PHP’s
date() function to get the year from date.
<?php // Date Format: Y/m/d $paymentDate = '2021/06/05';; echo $year = date('y', strtotime($paymentDate)); // echo $year = date('Y', strtotime($paymentDate)); // Output: 21 die();
Example 3: Extract Year Using date_format() Function
We can also use the date_format() function to grab the year in PHP.
<?php // Date Format: Y/m/d $date = date_create("2013-03-15"); echo date_format($date,"y"); // echo date_format($date,"Y"); // Output: 13 die();
Additionally, read our guide:
- PHP: Get Month Name From Date
- Add Column After A Column In Laravel Migration
- Laravel: Change Column Type In Migration
- Laravel: Change Column Name In Migration
- How To Use Where Date Between In Laravel
- How To Add Laravel Next Prev Pagination
- Laravel Remove Column From Table In Migration
- Difference Between Factory And Seeders In Laravel
- Laravel: Increase Quantity If Product Already Exists In Cart
- How To Calculate Age From Birthdate
- How To Check Laravel PHP Version
- How To Handle Failed Jobs In Laravel
- How To Remove WooCommerce Data After Uninstall
- How To Get Latest Records In Laravel
- How To Break Nested Loops In PHP Or Laravel
- How To Pass Laravel URL Parameter
- Laravel Run Specific Migration
That’s it from our end. We hope this article helped you to get year from the date in PHP.
Please let us know in the comments if everything worked as expected, your issues, or any questions. If you think this article saved your time & money, please do comment, share, like & subscribe. Thank you for reading this post 🙂 Keep Smiling! Happy Coding!