Often Python beginners get confused between del, remove and pop on lists. Many beginners don’t know that these are three separate things because they seem to look similar.
Choosing the right function is extremely important for the application because it can have an impact on the performance.
In this guide, we will explain the difference between a del, remove, pop on lists thus you can choose the better one. Let’s just jump into it.
Difference between del, remove and pop on lists
|remove() is a method.||del is a statement.||pop() is a method.|
|works with value or object.||works with index.||works with index.|
|In case, If a list contains duplicate elements, the remove() only removes the first matching element.||–||If argument not passed, the default index -1 is passed as an argument and it will remove the index of the last item.|
|A parameter is required unless you will get an ||It requires index or name unless you will get ||The argument is optional.|
|Whenever, if you are trying to remove the value which not exists into the list then you will get ||If the name is unbound, a ||As long as the index passed to the method is not in range, it throws |
|It does not return any value.||It does not return any value.||It returns the deleted index value.|
That’s it for now. We hope this post helped you to clear your thoughts on del, remove and pop for lists in Python.
Additionally, read our guide:
- Easy Ways To Convert String To Int Python
- Error After php artisan config:cache In Laravel
- Specified Key Was Too Long Error In Laravel
- AJAX PHP Post Request With Example
- How To Use The Laravel Soft Delete
- How To Add Laravel Next Prev Pagination
- cURL error 60: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate
- Difference Between Factory And Seeders In Laravel
- Laravel: Increase Quantity If Product Already Exists In Cart
- How To Calculate Age From Birthdate
- How to Convert Base64 to Image in PHP
- Check If A String Contains A Specific Word In PHP
- Dynamically Populate A Select Field’s Choices In ACF
- How To Find Duplicate Records in Database
Please let us know in the comments if everything worked as expected, your issues or any questions. If you think this article saved your time & money, please do comment, share, like & subscribe. Thank you for reading this post 🙂
2 thoughts on “Difference Between del, remove and pop on lists”
thank you for the information, it’s a brilliant web.
* I think the example for del it’s wrong, the output will be [5,6,8] not [5,7,8].
I am glad that it’s helpful to you. I will check further more into it and correct it. Thanks for reporting 🙂